Torridge Council has been controlled by Independents for the last 4 years. Torridge Conservatives propose to change this and to reverse the failings of the last 4 years...
The government have designated Torridge as one of the 20 areas in the UK to receive a share of £400 million in addition to the £15.6 million for the Appledore Innovation Centre and contracts for 3 large naval ships, sections to be built at Harland and Wolf in Appledore due to the hard work of our MP Sir Geoffrey Cox.
Our programme for the Torridge District elections is :-
1. Create a council planning system fit for purpose where developers don’t build what they want, where they want, how they want; improve infrastructure with housing developments and continue to require developers to pay towards improvements.
2. Make sure low cost, social and rental housing is built for essential workers and those on lower incomes as well as bungalows for the retired.
3. Keep Council Tax as low as possible to maintain good services and help with the cost of living.
4. Refuse to build homes on council car parks and require where possible developers to build 30% of homes as social housing.
5. Create town teams involving councillors, business and the voluntary sector to halt the decline of town centres in Bideford, Holsworthy and Torrington.
6. Establish an economic development plan for the district, to create jobs and attract businesses, using government grants whenever available.
7. Protect the rural and coastal character of Torridge and its rural and village communities.
8. Provide a fair share of council spending for the rural areas helping to maintain schools, pubs, shops and community halls.
9. Introduce measures to combat climate change on all Council properties.
10. Increase Council Tax for second homes and Airbnb.
Ken Hind Deputy Chairman commented ''Torridge is the 67th most deprived local authority area of the 365 in England. It needs a strong team of councillors working with policy aims, a sense of direction and teamwork to steer it through the next 4 years - being an independent may be fine dealing with the hundreds of £ on a Parish or Town Council but not the for the £ millions on a District Council.
Please help your local Conservatives make that happen, by voting on May 4th, and remove the control held by disparate group of Independent Councillors currently controlling Torridge council."
Promoted and Published by Ken Hind on behalf of Torridge and West Devon Conservatives 4 Middleton Road Bideford Devon EX39 3LU